Tuesday, April 15, 2014 / by Cristina Edelstein
Just about everyone loves low-cal, protein-packed Greek yogurt. But admit it: It’s a little boring.
- Top a bowl of oatmeal with a big scoop for added creaminess and protein to help you feel full all morning.
- Stir maple syrup and cinnamon in vanilla-flavored Greek yogurt for a dessert-like topping on fresh berries.
- Try it in your post-workout shake instead of protein powder to help refuel tired muscles.
- Swap it for the mayo in chicken, tuna, and egg salads to cut down on calories and saturated fat.
- Combine with Dijon mustard, minced garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper for a healthy salad dressing
- Mix it with steamed vegetables, fresh herbs, and squeeze of fresh lemon for an incredibly flavorful and satisfying side dish.
- Swap Greek yogurt for heavy cream in soups and sauces to cut calories while also increasing thickness and protein content.
- Try it instead of sour cream in recipes for a lower-calorie version.
- Add chopped cucumbers, dill, and a pinch of sea salt to Greek yogurt for a quick and easy Tzatziki sauce.
- Heat shredded cheese and Greek yogurt over medium-low heat for a slimmed-down cheese sauce.
- Blend with creamy nut butter for a slimmed-down version.
- Blend with canned pumpkin, chopped walnuts, and pumpkin pie spice—or, in a pinch, cinnamon—for a tasty pumpkin pie-inspired snack.
- For a simple, low-calorie frozen yogurt, place flavored Greek yogurt (or the plain kind with fresh fruit added) in the freezer overnight.
- Replace one-third to one-half of the butter in baking recipes with Greek yogurt to cut down on calories and fat without losing that soft, moist texture.
- Stir in vanilla extract, shredded coconut, and chocolate chips for a crazy simple, delicious dessert.